Many WordPress bloggers that start off blogging without much knowledge of SEO, soon realize realize that the WordPress permalink structure they chose wasn’t well-optimized for search-engines. Although being aware of the problem, some chose to stick to the old structure, since they fear that migrating to a new structure will cause loss of page rank and trackback/links from other websites. Fear no more.
Luckily enough, there seems to be a WordPress plugin especially made for that purpose written by Dean Lee and called “Permalinks Migration Plugin for wordpress“. You could actually see that Dean Lee has performed the migration by comparing his current permalink structure “/wordpress/permalinks-migration-plugin/” with the one that appears when browsing back comments “/?p=111&cp=10#comments”, which is still to be sorted out if the plugin is really to take advantage of the power added by the comments on the blog.
It’s pretty straight forward to install. Download the plugin, upload and activate, goto “wp-admin->options->PermalinksMigration”, then re-set your permalink structure to what you want, and you’re all done. Sweet.
Get rid of your default “?p=xxx” queries or “/archives/xxx” numeric structures and change it into something that’s name based.
WordPress developers really need to change the default value for the wordpress capable installations, or at least give a quick explanation of the SEO effects. WordPress out-of-the-box SEO could be so much better.
- Top SEO & Speed WordPress Plugins To Boost Off 2010
- Promoting the Israeli independent blogosphere – the WordPress SEO review project
- WordPress SEO : Fix the WordPress default permalink duplicate behavior
- WordPress SEO : Using excerpt, robots.txt and noindex meta-tag for duplicate content in index, archives and categories
- WordPress SEO : Optimize the WordPress Page Titles
- WordPress SEO : Verifying 404 Not-Found headers are not OK