BitKinex – Best SFTP/FTP/Webdav client software
I’ve tried’em all, and was disappointed every time. Till I started using BitKinex. The other popular free FTP clients out there are just not good enough, as they’re all lacking in one important feature or another. But after a few weeks with BitKinex I can honestly say this is the best of them lot, and best yet, it’s a freeware.
What is it that I’m looking for in an FTP client and why is it so hard to find? The features I need are :
- SFTP connections. (Webdav all the better)
- Multi-segment downloads/uploads to make large files transfer as fast as possible.
- Transfer auto-resume - If the connection breaks, the software shuts down, the transfer queue is automatically resumed upon a restart.
- Direct server to server transfers (FXP) – since I run a few servers on multiple locations, this makes it a breeze.
- File edit online – automatically download the file, open in an editor, and resume once file changes are saved. I do a lot of changes to files, and this feature is a must.
- File/directory comparisons – what’s missing? what’s changed? where?
So what’s wrong with the alternatives? FileZilla doesn’t maintain the queue and resume upon client/connection restart as well as breaking some of the files, CuteFTP doesn’t have multi-segment download (not to mention it’s not free), and WinSCP is very slow at batch and large files, doesn’t maintain directory location and has a lousy bookmark feature. And these limitations are just a few examples.
Try it out, let me know what you think. If you something that’s better, I’m interested.