I run Avira Anti-Virus and install it for friends and family that ask for a free personal anti-virus. Compared to the other freebies, it’s extremely light-weight and easy on the computer resources, especially on memory. The only downside to it, an annoying downside, is that nag screen known as “Avira Notifier”. Haven’t they heard that pop-ups are not user-friendly? I honestly don’t understand what they hope to gain from those.
Still, it’s very easy to get rid of it. I personally like the “NoNotifyAvira’” freeware that puts the right registry setting to block the popup. Essentially, this is what it looks like after you run it:
About the little program:
NoNotifyAvira is a small and simple utility that can remove the advertising of update and startup splash screen of Avira Antivir.
Note: Some antivirus and antispyware programs flag NoNotifyAvira as being infected/malware, although the application is perfectly safe and does not pose a threat to your system. This is called a ‘false positive’. The term false positive is used when antivirus software wrongly classifies an innocuous ( inoffensive ) file as a virus. The incorrect detection may be due to heuristics or to an incorrect virus signature in a database. [Similar problems can occur with antitrojan or antispyware software.]
Here’s from the readme.txt file on how to use No Notify Avira :
– disable Avira Antivir Guard
– execute No Notify Avira with administrator privileges
– re-enable Avira Antivir Guard
and you’re set.
There are slightly more complicated methods, I’ll refer you to the following blog posts detailing alternate ways :
- Two methods to stop annoying popup notifier of free Avira Antivir 10
- Disable Avira Notifier
- How To Remove Popup Ad In Avira AntiVir Personal (Free Version)
- Disable Windows 7 “Restart your computer to finish installing important updates” nag screen
- Annoying Facebook transparent popup black screen problem fix
- Removing “Windows 7 Restore / Recovery” FakeAlert Trojan
- Recover Lost ZIP File Passwords–Free Tool
- The Ultimate Free RSS Reader Review : On-line and Off-Line integrated with FeedDemon and NewsGator
- Free Group Chat Room Widget Services